Australian Embassy
Bulgaria, Romania

Passport Services

Passport Services


You should plan for a minimum of six weeks to receive your passport after successful lodgement. Child and first-time adult applications can take longer to process. We recommend you allow more time for these applications. If you are lodging as a family or group, applications can be authorised at different times and passports may not be received in one group. Unacceptable photographs and errors in your application will cause additional delays.

We recommend waiting to receive your passport before booking any travel.

‚ÄčAn additional fee will be charged if you request to have your new passport posted to you

Click here for passport and postage fees.


Applications for an Australian Passport

If you are located in Greece, Bulgaria or Romania, please note the following options for applying for or renewing an Australian passport overseas:

 In-person applications 

 Lodging your application by mail

If you fall under one of the following categories, you MUST lodge in person at the Australian Embassy in Athens or our Honorary Consulates in Sofia (for Bulgaria) and Bucharest (for Romania).

  • First time applicants
  • Child passport (16 or 17 years of age)
  • First adult passport and your child passport was issued to you at 15 years or younger
  • Replacing a lost or stolen passport
  • Name change or personal details on the passport
  • Replacing a limited validity passport, emergency passport, or other temporary travel document
  • You cannot answer the security questions for the renewal form.

You must have an appointment to submit your passport application at the Embassy or our Honorary Consulates.

Learn more  

Adults (18 years and over) PC7 renewals

To renew by mail, you will need a passport that:

  • was issued when you were aged 16 or over
  • was issued on or after 1 January 2006
  • had, when it was issued, at least two years’ validity
  • has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender, and
  • has not been reported lost, stolen or cancelled.

Learn more  


Child PC8 renewals

To renewal a child passport by mail, the applicant must be:

  • under the age of 16 AND
  • has previously held an Australian passport.

Children aged 16-17 are not eligible for postal applications.

Learn more  


Australian Passport Office Photo Requirements

Unacceptable photographs can cause significant delays in the processing of your application. Please be sure to review the Australian Passport Office photo requirements before attending a professional passport photo provider.