Mailed-in Adult Passport Renewals
Are you eligible to send your Adult passport application to the Embassy?
First-time passport applications are not eligible.
You must be applying to renew an Adult passport.
You must be 18 years and over.
You will need a previous Australian passport that:
- was issued when you were aged 16 or older
- was issued on or after 1 January 2006
- had at least two years’ validity when it was issued
- has your current name, date of birth, place of birth and gender, and
- has not been reported lost, stolen, or cancelled.
If you don’t meet these criteria, you’ll need to lodge your application in person by appointment. Click on this link to make an appointment.
If you are eligible follow these steps:
1. Complete your renewal application form online
- The application must be lodged within six months of completion.
2. Print and sign your application form
- Print your application on plain white A4 paper, using black ink only.
- Make sure your form has printed in full and isn't cut off at the top or bottom of the page.
- Sign the form using black pen, within the signature box.
- Make sure there are no alterations or whiteout on the signature or the date.
- Two recent identical colour photos, less than six months old with your full name written on the back of one photo.
- Click here for photo guidelines and information on acceptable photos.
- Please advise the photographer not to ‘photo shop’ the image, as the system will detect this, your photos will likely be rejected, and you will need to submit new ones. Photos taken in a photo booth will also likely be rejected.
- Do NOT attach the photos to the form as this may damage them.
- A guarantor is not required to sign the back of your photos for a renewal application.
- Unacceptable photos will delay the processing of your application.
- Click here for the Payment Authorisation Form.
- Check the details are correct and you have sufficient funds for the application fee.
- An additional fee will be charged if you request to have your passport posted to you. If applying by post, please ensure you include the cost of return postage in your credit card authorisation.
- Click here for passport and postage fees.
- Problems with your payment method will delay the processing of your application.
5. Review the adult renewal checklist
- Click here to review the adult renewal checklist
- Check you have correctly signed and dated the application form
- Check you have correctly completed the Payment Authorisation Form
6. Send your application by courier
- Courier your application, photos and Payment Authorisation Form to the Australian Embassy in Athens or the relevant Australian Consulate if you are in Bulgaria or Romania
- You must be able to track the application
Address the envelope to:
Hatziyianni Mexi 5
Athens 115 28
37 Trakia Street
Praga 3 Street, District 1
7. How long will it take?
- Please allow a minimum of six weeks to receive a new passport once payment has been taken
- Incomplete applications will cause delays and maybe returned for you to complete.